EV conversion kits – Overview, Considerations, and Conversion Process
If you want to own a gas-powered car then buying a new one will be a very costly option that will surely cost you an arm and a leg. Despite buying a new one turn your old gas-powered car into a highly equipped electric vehicle that has numerous benefits not only for your lifestyle and pocket but also for the environment.
You can click this to view Going Green: How Piwin EV Charging Supports Sustainable Transportation
Now let’s come towards the question What is an EV kit? And what is its purpose? Let’s have a quick look at the EV conversion kit overview.An EV conversion kit, or Electric Vehicle conversion kit, is a set of components and parts that can be used to convert a traditional gasoline or diesel-powered vehicle into an electric vehicle (EV).
These kits typically include an electric motor, a battery pack, a controller, wiring, and other necessary components to replace the internal combustion engine and fuel system of the vehicle. However, the feasibility and complexity of such conversions can vary depending on the specific vehicle and kit used.
Why do we need to convert our cars to electric?
Due to this rising inflation, the price of almost everything has touched the unbearable limits including gas. Every other person in UK and USA owns a car and if it is a gas-powered car then it will most likely be causing 2%-3% of the total annual income of a normal citizen which is a good amount of money.
Converting cars to electric power offers several compelling reasons. The benefits of EV conversion kits are numerous. First, it significantly reduces harmful gas emissions and air pollution, contributing to a cleaner environment and combating climate change. Second, electric vehicles (EVs) are more energy-efficient, costing less to operate per mile.
How do EV conversion kits work?
An EV conversion kit is a comprehensive package of components designed to transform a conventional gasoline or diesel vehicle into an electric vehicle (EV). These kits typically include an electric motor, a battery pack, a controller, wiring, and various necessary components.
The process involves removing the internal combustion engine and related systems from the vehicle and installing the electric motor, battery pack, and associated electronics in their place. Once installed, the electric motor is powered by the battery pack, delivering the necessary propulsion to the vehicle.
EV conversion kits are often used by hobbyists and DIY enthusiasts interested in repurposing older, non-electric cars into eco-friendly EVs, but they require technical knowledge and skills to complete safely and effectively.
Considerations before buying an EV conversion kit
Before purchasing an EV conversion kit, several key considerations are essential. Firstly, assess your technical expertise and comfort level with DIY projects, as conversions can be complex. Ensure the compatibility of the kit with your donor vehicle and desired performance goals. Another key consideration is the type of charger that will be used with the converted vehicle. Will you be using a DC Fast Charger for quicker charging sessions or an AC EV Charger which is commonly used for home charging? Answer these questions in your mind and then move forward to undergo a successful conversion.
1. Technical Skill: Do you have the knowledge and skills required for a successful conversion?
2. Compatibility: Is the kit suitable for your specific vehicle make and model?
3. Component Quality: Are the included components reputable and of high quality?
4. Total Cost: Consider the full cost, including any additional materials or professional labor.
5. Warranty and Support: Check if the kit includes warranty coverage and reliable customer support for troubleshooting and assistance.
Basic benefits of EV conversion kits
EV conversion kit is an expensive tool but the benefits it gives you will be going to serve you for a lifetime. Our world has made a lot of advancements, It was an old and obsolete thought that Electric vehicles are relatively slower and less efficient than gas or petrol-powered cars but now they have outperformed the normal gas vehicles.
Click to learn: How 2023 Paves the Way for Electric Vehicle Adoption
Almost 15% of new registrations have been observed every year in the account of EVs which will eventually give a high rise to EVs on the roads of the UK.Here are a few common benefits of EV conversion kits and Electric vehicles.
1. Environmental Impact – No harmful gas emission: EV conversion kits allow traditional gasoline or diesel vehicles to be transformed into electric vehicles, reducing harmful emissions and lowering carbon footprints. These vehicles are powered by a Lithium Ion battery which is charged by electricity and requires no combustion engine.
2. Cost Savings: Electric vehicles are generally cheaper to operate than their internal combustion engine counterparts. EV conversion kits can offer significant long-term savings on fuel and maintenance costs since electric motors are more efficient and have fewer moving parts, resulting in reduced maintenance and lower fuelling expenses.
3. Lesser Maintenance: EVs have Lithium-ion battery which suffers no wear and tear as compared to a combustion engine. Moreover, it requires no oil replacements or component maintenance as in gas-powered cars. Also, it has relatively lower cost-per-mile rates which makes it move more for less money.
4. Vehicle Longevity: Converting a conventional vehicle into an electric one extends its lifespan and reduces the need for manufacturing new vehicles. This sustainable approach promotes resource conservation and helps reduce the environmental impact associated with producing new automobiles.
Generally, the UK government offers incentives to convert your vehicle into an Electric one. You will have an exemption from road tax and you will get free parking at some places which is also a long-term benefit of owning an Electric vehicle.
EV conversion process and its basic steps
The process of converting a traditional gasoline or diesel vehicle into an electric vehicle (EV) using an EV conversion kit is a complex and technical endeavor. It has 7 basic steps that need to be done carefully to perform a successful electrical conversion of your vehicle. Here are these 7 steps.
1. Removing the Internal Combustion Engine: The EV conversion process involves careful disassembling of the vehicle’s engine and associated components, including the transmission, exhaust system, and fuel system. This involves removing the engine, transmission, and other components from the engine bay.
2. Preparing the Chassis and installing the electric motor: Prepare the vehicle chassis for the electric motor and battery pack installation mount the electric motor in the engine bay and connect it to the vehicle’s transmission or drivetrain, depending on the kit and design. Ensure proper alignment and secure installation.
3. Battery Pack Installation: Place the battery pack in a suitable location within the vehicle and securely mount it.
4. Wire connections: Connect the motor, battery pack, and controller using the provided wiring and electrical components. Ensure all connections are secure, and the electrical system is properly insulated.
5. Controller Setup and safety checks: Configure the motor controller to match the desired performance characteristics and safety parameters for the vehicle. Conduct thorough safety checks to ensure all components are properly secured to prevent mechanical failures.
6. Testing and debugging: Test and Debug: Gradually test the converted EV to identify and address any issues or anomalies. Pay close attention to motor and controller performance, battery management, and overall vehicle functionality.
7. Charging station: Set up a charging system compatible with the battery pack’s voltage and specifications. This typically involves installing a charging port and connecting it to the battery management system.
Best EV conversion kits 2023
Many renowned vehicle companies have recently launched electric car conversion kits to facilitate people in converting their old gasoline vehicles into new and smoother electrical vehicles instead of buying a new electric vehicle at extremely high prices. These companies offer many different types of conversion kits including custom kits and universal kits.
Custom kits are specifically designed for a few vehicle models and work more conveniently than the universal ones. While universal kits can be used in the conversion of a variety of vehicles it is harder to install because it requires the custom designing of different parts inside the system which needs to be done by the builder. Here are a few top-rated EV conversion kits in 2023 that are most common in the market.
1. Bosch eAxle Conversion Kit
Bosch is known for developing advanced eAxle technology for electric vehicles and serves as the best solution for hybrid vehicles. The Bosch eAxle integrates the electric motor, power electronics, and gearbox into a compact unit. This kit enhances the performance and efficiency of EVs and could potentially be used for EV conversion projects, depending on compatibility and availability.
Price of Bosch eAxle Conversion kit:
The latest quoted price of the Bosch eAxle Conversion kit in 2023 is A minimum of $8000 which excludes the batteries. While the battery has a cost of another $1000-$3000.
2. Loop Moto EV conversion kit
The Loop Moto Ev conversion kit is the second most common kit to convert a gasoline vehicle into an electrical one. This kit has a great compatibility with almost all the vehicles. It provides a complete battery management system, Lithium-ion batteries, and other accessories to make it a convenient option for vehicle conversion.
Price of Loop Moto EV Conversion kit
EV conversion kit pricing depends upon its components and efficiency. The cost of this kit is between 3 lacs to 5 lacs.
3. Rexnamo EV conversion kit
It’s a leading company based in India for the production of high-end, retrofitted cars and conversion kits that work best for vintage cars like Volkswagen, BMW Honda City, etc. This EV kit not only improves the reselling price of the vehicle but also increases its speed to 88 km/h.
Price of Rexnamo EV conversion kit
This EV conversion kit pricing depends upon the type of car for which it is being used. Its price range for a compact car varies from 8 lacs to 10 lacs. Whereas, it ranges from 30 lacs to 35 cars for most latest high-end cars.
DIY EV Conversion kit
Converting a gasoline-powered vehicle into an electric vehicle, a DIY EV conversion is like breathing new life into an aging automobile. A Do-It-Yourself Electric Vehicle Conversion Kit is a package of components and parts designed to assist individuals in converting a conventional gasoline or diesel vehicle into an electric vehicle (EV).
These kits typically include essential components like an electric motor, a battery pack, a controller, wiring, and various other necessary components. They provide a starting point and guidance for individuals who have the technical skills and knowledge required to perform the conversion themselves.
DIY EV conversion kits are popular among hobbyists and enthusiasts who want to repurpose older, non-electric cars into eco-friendly EVs, allowing them to take an active role in the electrification of transportation.
Efficiency of an EV conversion kit
The efficiency of an electric vehicle (EV) conversion depends on various factors, including the components used, the design of the conversion, and how well it’s executed. Here are some key considerations related to EV conversion and its efficiency:
· Component Quality: The choice of components, such as the electric motor, batteries, and controller, plays a significant role in determining efficiency. High-quality components designed for electric vehicles tend to be more efficient than repurposed or lower-grade parts.
· Battery Technology: The type of batteries used (e.g., lithium-ion, lead-acid) affects efficiency. Lithium-ion batteries are known for their higher energy density and efficiency compared to older battery technologies.
· Conversion Process: The skill and precision with which the conversion is carried out can impact EV conversion efficiency. Proper wiring, insulation, and cooling systems are essential to maintain high efficiency.
EV Conversion VS Buying a new EV
Whether a vehicle is converted into an EV by a DIY conversion kit or has been done by some vehicle professionals in the factory environment – both have their advantages and disadvantages that need to be kept in mind while making a decision. Here are a few critical aspects including basic advantages and disadvantages of both cases.
Using an EV conversion kit
1. Cost Savings: Converting an existing vehicle to electric can be more budget-friendly if you already own the vehicle. The initial investment typically includes the cost of the conversion kit and labor, potentially saving you money compared to buying a new EV.
2. Sustainability: EV conversions can extend the life of older vehicles, promoting sustainability by reducing the need for new car production and resource consumption.
1. Complexity: Conversions are intricate projects, demanding technical expertise and labor. Mistakes can be costly, and safety must be a priority.
2. Resale Value: DIY conversions often have lower resale value than factory-made EVs.
3. Warranty: Converted EVs generally lack manufacturer warranties, potentially leading to higher maintenance costs.
Buying a New EV:
1. Reliability: New EVs are rigorously designed, tested, and built to high standards, providing reliability and typically come with manufacturer warranties.
2. Efficiency: Factory-made EVs often offer optimized efficiency and performance, including the latest battery and motor technology.
1. Higher Initial Cost: New EVs generally have a higher upfront price compared to conversions.
2. Limited Customization: While you can choose among different EV models, customization options are limited compared to DIY conversions.
Ultimately, your decision depends on your budget, technical skills, environmental goals, and whether you value the convenience and support of a factory-made EV or the challenge and customization potential of a conversion project.
In conclusion, EV conversion kits offer a transformative pathway to electric mobility, allowing enthusiasts to repurpose existing vehicles.
They empower sustainability efforts, foster innovation, and promote individual customization. However, successful conversions demand technical expertise, commitment, and careful component selection to achieve efficient and eco-conscious electric transportation.
Topics that should interest you: Estimating Range: How Many Miles Can an EV Charging Station Provide?